This simple recipe is for homemade chai concentrate. Once you see how easy making your own chai is, you’ll never buy pre-made concentrate again. This recipe yields 4 cups, so set aside an empty white wine bottle for ideal storage.
- 10 whole cloves
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 1 slice of licorice root
- 4-inch piece of fresh ginger, sliced
- 4 cups water
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 3 whole allspice (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar (more or less to taste)
- 2 star anise
- 1 vanilla bean, sliced down the middle
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon coriander whole
- 4 black tea bags
- Bring all ingredients except tea bags together to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add tea bags and let steep for 5 minutes.
- Pour mixture through a strainer and reserve the liquid for concentrate, and let cool to room temperature.
- Mix equal parts concentrate with water or milk to make chai tea. Or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to one week.