Whether you’re hosting or attending a party, it’s good to have a few recipes up your sleeve so that you’re not caught unprepared when asked to contribute. While that Pinterest recipe for Pulled Pork Sriracha Jalapeño Poppers with Candied Bacon may be delicious, it’s not always practical to dedicate an entire shopping trip to gathering the plethora of ingredients needed, or the time to prepare them. So, cut down the ingredient list and make something that’s simple and always a party pleaser. As many modern cocktails are riffs on the classics created by modifying one ingredient, a small modification to a simple recipe is often all that’s needed to make it exceptional. Before we jump into my ultimate party-pleasing hummus, here are the 5 qualifiers that secure a party food’s spot on the list of go-tos.
The 5 Qualifications for an Ultimate Party Food
- Portability – It’s easy to transport to the destination.
- Serving Temperature – Food that can remain at room temperature versus needing heat or cold applied simplifies transportation and serving.
- Flexibility – Either the recipe itself can be easily branched into variants, or the accompaniments give options for those with specific dietary needs.
- Value – The recipe is low-cost and high yield. The recipe has minimal preparation time and also pleases the majority of palates.
- Common Ingredients – Most of the ingredients are things that any decently stocked pantry contains.
I can’t think of any food that meets these criteria better than hummus. Portability and serving temperature are self-evident, and with the exception of tahini, the other ingredients are common. Hummus lends itself to many variations from jalapeño cilantro to spinach and feta. Dipping options are wide open too, with celery, carrots, and pita being the standard. The ability for all the ingredients to be thrown into a food processor means that fresh homemade hummus can be made with minimal effort in less than 10 minutes. Adding a differentiating ingredient like smoked paprika is just the ace up your sleeve to make the recipe stand out. So for your next party, make hummus and double the recipe if you want any for yourself. Complicated Pinterest recipes have their place, but a simple recipe with a unique twist that everyone can enjoy will be appreciated more than a niche recipe that only suits a few people’s palates.
P.S. – Don’t forget to tag your hummus photos on Instagram under #HumbleGarnish. Follow The Humble Garnish’s Instagram here.
- 1 can of garbanzo beans (liquid reserved)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (leaves only)
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon sesame seed oil (optional)
- black pepper (to taste)
- Add all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth or desired consistency is reached. Use the reserved liquid to help achieve the desired consistency.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of smoke paprika, and chopped parsley.